Fred is a consummate professional: thorough, insightful, connected, a good writer and possessing of enviable tenacity. His is a breed of journalist now so rare in South Africa, they should be listed by CITES. . . . The opportunity to benefit from his skills and experience should not be passed up.” – Juliet Colly, former chief sub-editor, Sunday Tribune.
“Fred is a leading journalism educator based in KZN. In addition to being a combat-decorated investigative journalist, Fred is a highly entrepreneurial thinker with plenty of experience in arts and social development funding.” – Andre Wiesner, Convenor, UCT-GetSmarter Feature Writing Course.
“Fred has built a reputation as a formidable, versatile and courageous investigative reporter. He is productive and shows no hesitation in taking on tough, even dangerous, stories. His work is always solid, reliable and utterly professional and he puts great care into the detail and accuracy of everything he produces. He is impeccable in dealing properly with his sources, and has cultivated a wide range of contacts, particularly in the KwaZulu-Natal area.” – Anton Harber, Wits Journalism and Caxton Professor of Journalism.
Awards and commendations
- Thomas Pringle Press Freedom Award – shortlisted finalist, 1992
- Vodacom Journalist of the Year: Regional winner (print news), 2002
- Vodacom Journalist of the Year: Regional winner (print news), 2006
- Mondi-Shanduka Newspaper Award – shortlisted finalist (investigative journalism) 2006
- Vodacom Journalist of the Year: Regional winner (financial / economic), 2007
- Taco Kuiper Award for Investigative Journalism: Runner up, 2006
- Mondi -Shanduka Newspaper Award – shortlisted finalist (investigative journalism) 2010
- Taco Kuiper Award for Investigative Journalism – shortlisted finalist, 2009